Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Crab Stuffed Mirlitons

When I was a little girl, my grandmother used to make Pipianes Fritos, which are sliced mirlitons filled with cheese, coated in an egg batter, and then pan fried. They were unbelievably good, but not having the same type of cheese or that particular variety of mirliton available here, makes them very difficult to replicate. (and with me, it's either perfect- or not at all!) So, when I learned how to make Louisiana style stuffed mirlitons-- I was hooked. They involve a bit of labor, but I promise, they are very well worth the effort. If you were on the lookout for another vegetable recipe for Thanksgiving, look no further- this is it!

NOTES: This is a great recipe to freeze. You can substitute a pound of shrimp for the crab meat and cook it with the stuffing. You can also substitute evaporated milk for the cream.


Crab Stuffed Mirlitons

4 mirlitons
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped yellow onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon fresh Thyme
1 tablespoon Tony's Creole seasoning
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 lb. fresh lump crab meat
1/3 cup fine bread crumbs for filling plus extra to coat tops

1. In a large stock pot bring water and whole mirlitons to a boil. Cook over medium heat for 45 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool. When cool, slice in half and scoop out flesh with melon- baller. Set mirliton flesh aside.

2. In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and saute until lightly caramelized. Add garlic, reserved mirliton flesh, and herbs and spices and cook for 20 minutes.

3. Add cream to mirliton mixture and continue to cook for an additional 20 minutes or until it starts to thicken. Add crab meat and 1/3 cup bread crumbs and toss lightly.

4. Place mirliton shells on a greased baking sheet. Fill shells with stuffing, mounding tops, then lightly cover with bread crumbs.

5. Preheat oven to 350F and bake mirlitons until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.

8 comments:

  1. wow. that looks great. But what is a mirlitons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A mirliton is a type of squash, also called a Chayote squash. They grow on a vine, are pear shaped, and mild flavored. Their texture resembles a cross between a potato and a cucumber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im glad someone else asked what a mirliton was. My guess from looking at it was some sort of pepper.
    Always love to learn about new foods.
    This recipe looks delicous. Im not sure where I would find a mirliton around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting! i've never heard of a mirliton before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! These look sort of empanada-ish? What a cool blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you posted this recipe! I can't wait to try it on my Cajun uncle at Thanksgiving. I've had these but have never cooked them before...they look incredible! Alison

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ali,
    I'm so glad you are making the mirlitons for Thanksgiving...they are really really yummy. Call me at the restaurant and I'll order the crabmeat for you, (it will be fresher). xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Katia, glad I found this...this is the best-looking stuffed mirliton recipe I've seen in a while. I pass a big pile of mirlitons every time I leave my apartment (the Turkish grocer downstairs has them) and I kept meaning to find something good to do with them...I think the search is over. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...